Tuesday 19 October 2010

Autumn Art Fair

At the weekend I took part in the Landmark Autumn Art Fair. Busy, busy. Friday nights private view had lots of visitors and footfall was good for the whole weekend.

I would have liked to have sold more work, however, the artist notebooks I made sold out on Saturday and the Starter Printmaker Packs I had with me also sold out so I took orders for extra, posting them out yesterday. . . . good-oh

I also ran out of cards and had to improvise. . . . . 




The fair was held in what was once St Alban's Church. 

Built in 1887 by public subscription to replace the old parish church which was too small for the growing Teddington congregation. In deed, more was subscribed than expected, stone was substituted for brick and a whopping great French Gothic Church complete with gleaming copper roof was erected.

Falling congregations meant that the building became redundant and neglected for many years and by the 1980's vandals had removed the roof, the congregation had returned to the old parish church opposite and St Alban's was deconsecrated.

However local people campaigned for the building to be saved, both for its architectural merit and to serve as a building for use as a community arts centre, the role it now fills.








One of the windows damaged by vandals.

No comments:

Post a Comment