Wednesday 1 May 2013

End of a long dark winter . . .

It felt like a long and dark winter (and not just the weather) thankfully some warmth is returning to the soil. Not just warmth, colour too . . . hurrah!

And if ever an excuse not to cut the grass was needed, this warm sunshine has peppered daisies throughout the lawn - how cruel it would be to mow them down. 
I'd thought we were weeks behind with spring growth, however this blossom was photographed on 6 May 2008 . . .
and this is today's apple blossom. If the weather keeps on like this, I would guess that in a weeks time it'll be pretty much at the same stage. This is a worry because we're still sporadically waking up to a frosty garden, and that could wreck all the apple blossom.
With my new enthusiasm for colour I couldn't resist the temptation to pick up my camera and have a wander around the garden.

With the accompaniment of a couple of large bumble bees and some birdsong, I could see how much now needs attention, but I like to think I'm supporting a whole host of insect life with my relaxed approach to gardening, which has to be a good thing.
 Forget-me-knots against the wall, with a bit of herb robert hiding at the back,
and yellow tulips starting to reveal themselves (a lack of spring flowers was making me feel a little cheated) we're on a frost line and get a predominantly north westerly wind so the back garden can be a difficult environment in spring - we're due a frost tonight . . . there was frost this morning . . . there was frost over the weekend . . .
The front garden is south facing (a big difference there, you can see with the desiccated lavender at the back) and it seems suddenly it's all systems a go-go.
Flynn and Rufus have been following in my footsteps all morning, not sure what I was up to but hopeful something delicious might turn up
Pretty pulmonaria at the base of one side of a hedge,
cowslips on the other side.
Sulphurous yellow daffodils growing up through sage, not a combination I'm too fond of now but they are really cheerful on a grey day so I've left them there.
I was pleasantly surprised to find these pots of pasque flowers had survived the winter, they were hidden outside at the back of the house where it's coldest and wettest - rescued now for a new bed.
I have a soft spot for magnolias, in general they don't like a shallow chalky soil but this little stellata has never disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment